Youth Leadership Congress - Registration Open!
YOUTH LEADERSHIP CONGRESS
Every summer, Oakdale Electric Cooperative (OEC) offers a fun, educational and unique all-expense paid event that is planned by and for teenagers . . . the Wisconsin Electric Cooperative Association's Youth Leadership Congress (YLC). Students attending YLC also have a chance to compete for post-high school educational scholarships from OEC and the Wisconsin Electric Cooperative Association (WECA).
YLC PROGRAM DETAILS
The annual Youth Leadership Congress is a dynamic three-day event for youth leaders across Wisconsin to develop their leadership skills while learning about the purpose, operation, and scope of cooperative businesses.
What will you do at YLC?
- See what makes the cooperative business model different and successful and apply this knowledge to fun and challenging cooperative activities.
- Work together with other youth leaders from around Wisconsin to demonstrate the power and value of cooperation.
- Identify and develop your own leadership skills.
- Learn some of the important history that has shaped today’s cooperatives.
- Discuss cooperative careers with professionals in the industry.
- Be entertained and challenged by highly acclaimed motivational speakers who understand teens and explore topics important and relevant in your life.
- Experience college life at a University of Wisconsin campus!
What makes this conference different?
- This is a by-teens, for-teens cooperative leadership conference! It is planned and developed by a youth board elected at the previous year’s event.
- Students spend three days on a college campus and experience a typical college environment, complete with living in the residence halls, attending sessions throughout campus, and even experiencing UW–River Falls’ dining service. (Hint: Do NOT miss the ice cream!)
- Finally, attendees elected to the youth board will not only plan the next conference their way; they also have the opportunity to attend the annual National Rural Electric Cooperative Association National Youth Tour in Washington, D.C., the following June!
Who can apply?
- Oakdale Electric Cooperative will sponsor up to six students per high school to attend the 2018 YLC at UW-River Falls, July 25-27, 2018.
- Student must be a son or daughter (or under legal guardianship) of an active member of OEC residing in the same household.
- Student must be entering his/her senior year of high school in the fall 2018 at one of our 12 area high schools: Brookwood, Mauston, Necedah, Nekoosa, New Lisbon, Pittsville, Reedsburg Area, Royall, Sparta, Tomah, Wisconsin Dells, and Wonewoc.
What does it cost?
- All registration costs are covered by Oakdale Electric Cooperative, including transportation to and from UW-River Falls.
- Registration materials are available at each respective high school guidance office beginning in March.
- The high school is responsible for selecting their student representatives.